Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Musings about Web Components and Community work

I have been thinking lots about web components but I am not actually building them yet. Procrastination has set in I think! Its November and the silly season is creeping upon us rather too quickly.

I have also been thinking about the meta side of things especially with web components and my life as a Deaf person. I did a quick course in jQuery and it has provided me the tools to quickly fetch and update individual elements on a web page. but I realised what if I have multiple pages and they needed to communicate across by exchanging data then it all gets messy quickly. On one hand, jQuery is useful for encapsulating low level routines into higher level functions or objects for instance but the other hand its all rather fine grained. So I came across frameworks. Angular JS is one of them and the ability to decouple data, views and controller modules helps the developer manage the complexity of building and deploying web applications. So that's the MVC paradigm. Ok I would like write more about this MVC but that's for a future blog post.

It has been like 7 years since I worked in the software engineering industry (Altium - an Electronics Design Automation world class company) and I miss this type of work terribly.I worked as a software engineer, application engineer and finally as a technical writer for Altium and I worked extensively with Borland Delphi. I loved this tool. I came across Delphi components and how they helped me save time in coding and how it is easy to build applications with components.

I am a community manager for a little non for profit organisation funded by the Archdiocese of Sydney. I have done a lot of community work for the last 7 years. Why did I end up in the community sector after I was made redundant at Altium (no hard feelings!).   I was snapped up for lots of different jobs in the Deaf community after I left Altium. I taught many sign language courses for the Deaf Society of NSW. I designed and delivered lots of community courses and workshops for the deaf community in Sydney in the areas of family history research and Arduino - open source electronics prototyping boards. I thought it would be good to do something really different. The big pay drop was a blow I admit. It was only last year when I became a community manager, my salary was much more respectable.

On reflection, I realised there were things I could have done better when I was at Altium. I didnt know how to manage my anxiety issues. Thou I was an efficient worker and I had the great ability to get on with my co workers and have a laugh or two. I was able to hack into hard stuff and generate easy to understand technical documentation and generate useful code and script examples. That was so much fun.

I am a Deaf person and I use Auslan (Australian Sign Language). I found rather hard to cope being in a room full of people who can only speak and unable to sign Auslan. Now I am older and more mature. I think I am managing my anxiety issues very well. It is my fifth year with Movember - a charity devoted to helping men resolve their anxiety, depression and other related issues. I feel really good helping out. This is why I really enjoy helping people and finding solutions to make their lives easier. This attribute is important in all areas of work; whether it is community work or developing unique web components!

Fast forward to today.  I feel it is time for me to move on and harness the technical geek in me once again. I am ready to move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment